This time quite a few B- Schools have done away with GROUP DISCUSSION part as their selection process, instead they adopted written test through case- let, analysis of argument or some other form to evaluate the prospects- These processes have the following objectives-
- To judge the candidate’s comprehension capabilities
- Thinking aptitude
- Writing abilities
During PI the interviewer may ask questions on the topics given and accordingly marks are allocated. It has been observed that area of interest or basic awareness of current economic scenario is must because questions are generally directed towards that, like
- Projected and present GDP growth of India impacting the nation’s overall growth in core and ancillary sectors.
- Negative inflation vs. positive inflation.
- Why India is unable to control WPI (Wholesale Price Index)
- Few other topics in debate or controversial
Never-the-less some questions which are considered very general but answers should be articulated and the arguments must be strong enough to create an impressions are-
- Why and how this program would help you in future?
- How would you integrate your graduate knowledge to the specific papers of this program during 2nd year?
- Plz introduce yourself (this question is purely to check your communication abilities rather than judging content)
- Give an assessment of your strengths and weaknesses (don’t overdo on your strengths, learn to balance, we all exist with both the traits)
REGARDING GD PROCESS, HOWEVER YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING-
- Don’t throw your voice just to make noise.
- Listen to others to understand not to reply
- Initiate the process only if you know the topic
- A critical point on the topic is more powerful than arguing
- If you are unable to say anything at all listen and conclude or submit, chances are the GD conductor will give a special time
WHAT YOU SHOULD AND DO CONFIDENTLY-
- Realistic assessment of yourself in future
- Maintain eye contact
- Surrender if you fluency is not adequate, change the communiqué language
- Don’t pick up excuses if somewhere your marks have dropped
- Convince (proper learning) why you have chosen the instituteREMEMBER 15 TO 20 MINS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO CRACK AND LEAVE AN IMPRESSION.
How to handle GD?
Group discussion is a methodology for observing communication and leadership skills on an individual in an impromptu, ambiguous and leaderless situation. Colleges and recruiters use GD as a tool for rejecting candidates who don’t possess the required level of communication and interpersonal skills. The topics could be either in a debate format or explorative format. The duration of GD could be 10-15 mins. The criteria used often are:
- Ability to articulate and convey ideas.
- Assertiveness and ability to influence others.
- Leadership skills.
- General knowledge.
- Listening skills.
Speaking is all about words. A strong vocabulary is a prerequisite for good performance in GDs. Making habit of reading at least English national daily and one book per month is a must. Read blogs and magazines to know opinions of others, listen debates on TV channels. Its ok to quote others but they are looking for your ideas and opinions.
Here are some techniques that might help you:
- In GDs participants are supposed to put together their thoughts in 2-5 mins. Use mind mapping to put your key ideas around the main topic.
- In case you don’t know enough, make sure you are not among the few to speak. Wait for some time to what others say and try grouping similar ideas and share.
- You may start asking a few questions to the group, it will help you to get some ideas as well as establish yourself as one of the moderator.Mother tongue influence and stammering are 2 difficult problems which require more help , but they can be rectified with practices.
How will you be assertive?
Everyone wants to speak to make an impression, in such a situation many candidates find it difficult to speak anything at all. In the context of GD is the ability to say what you want to say and be heard by others. Candidates often find difficult make themselves because:
- Waiting for someone else will ask for their opinion.
- Repeatedly saying, ‘I want say something’, but never actually saying it.
- Trying to interrupt when one participant is addressing.
- Using vague language- ‘you know’,’ they say’ etc.
- Making point that is very different from what the group is discussingRemember there are no brownie points for just being the first person to speak. I find many initiating the discussion and then remaining silent for the rest of the discussion. If you have enough points begin by sharing them in structured manner. Don’t raise your voice when someone contradicts you. Don’t be adamant if others don’t buy you point. Finally assertiveness is all about how much you respect yourself. No surprise that companies recruits you on your ability to listen. It means:Who is saying what?What has been the trajectory of the discussion?Which key ideas have been discussed?Which ideas are dissimilar?World is unpredictable and so are the colleges and companies while recruiting. What we discussed above can be applied generally. Remember, fortune favours the prepared minds.